Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vincerò, Vincerò!

This song is absolutely mesmerizing. It sends my heart a flutter, sends chills down my spine, and moves me to feel I can "win" anything I care to accomplish in life. Pavarotti, rest his soul, was an incredible singer. When I was young I used to think my dad was Pavarotti. He had the dark hair and the beard - oh, and he was a singer.
I've included here the translation in English. Vincero!

Read about the Opera Turandot and what happens before this song here.

Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

3 comments:

Caitilin said...

This is one of my most favorite songs ever. Seriously. I cry when I play it at home - and the boys think I'm ridiculous...the big boy, too. ;) It is so powerful; his voice is magestic; goosebumps are all over me as I type/listen to this. Thx for posting.

Caitilin said...

You know, this song reminds me of the powerful ending of "Stars" in Les Mis. Doesn't it? Overwhelming and emotional.

Erin said...

Ah, you are so right. I LOVE that one.