Sunday, September 21, 2008

A mi me encanta la musica

*It has been a really good weekend. It started with the chance to spend some quality time with roommates and friends Friday night. Melanee got tickets to see a concert at the Conference Center and generously shared with the rest of us. It was called An American Songbook, featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Utah Symphony, with special guests Denyce Graves and Brian Stokes Mitchell. I had never heard of either one of the guests, so I really had no idea what I was in for. Now, friends, for those of you that know me well, you know that music is in my blood. The power of music is inspiring. My words are so weak and can't do my feelings justice, but music can translate what words sometimes cannot. Music blew me over this weekend! I needed a good dose of it, and I certainly got it - in more ways than one.
Brian Stokes Mitchell, a regular on Broadway, sang a stirring rendition of "Some Enchanted Evening", which has always been a favorite. A song is always so much more powerful when the singer first draws you in with their own charm and personality. He was so gracious and so warm with the audience. He remarked that it felt like he was home in his living room with his own friends. This just allowed the audience to feel the warmth in his voice. I don't think there is a voice that has touched my very heart as he did in a very long time. He proceeded to do a 30's and 40's medley, which featured some of the old standards (my faves), such as "The Very Thought of You", and "Embraceable You". His versatility is impressive. Later on in the program, he stirred us again by singing "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha. I can't even describe in words what I felt, so I'm going to add a video I found of him singing that very song at the Tony Awards back in 2007 and let you enjoy it. I wish I could adequately describe what I felt, but I simply cannot. There are some things that are better felt and described in a tear.
*Saturday morning I went to my first practice for Savior of the World. I have never seen this play that has been running for the past 10 years, but I had a chance to experience the inspired music on Saturday. I can hardly wait for it to begin! I haven't been in a play in years and years and have wanted the experience, but have been taken in by work and life in general. Thanks to my good friend from years past, Rob Abney, for encouraging me to audition. I'm sure it will be life changing, and I am anxious for the experiences it will bring.
*Also, I had the chance to sing in Relief Society today with Marcole. We chose the song "May My Life Reflect Thy Will". It always feels good to sing in church (which I rarely do anymore). I am thankful for the gifts the Lord has blessed me with.
*I feel thankful; thankful that I can be touched by beautiful things like music. I know this all may sound a little cheesy, but since this is my journal, I figure I should share things like this that are important to me. I have to give thanks to mom and dad for sharing their love of music with me and with all of my siblings from day one. So much of what I feel in music stems from happy memories growing up around music and song. Dad playing the guitar, mom teaching us harmony, Dad's passion for singing groups with killer four-part harmonies, and oh-so much more. In short, thanks for the music that's in me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're in SOTW too? Yay! I'm definitely making plans to see it! I haven't seen you onstage in years. :)

Melanie said...

Oh man! I had no idea Brian Stokes Mitchell was going to be here! He's amazing! And I'm jealous.

Erin said...

Isn't he incredible?!

Ashley said...

My mother-in-law was there and was raving about it last night! I wish I could have seen the Sun. morning broadcast but we are always at church when it airs and we just haven't done the whole TIVO thing yet! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm glad your using your talent still - you have such a wonderful voice!

Shannon said...

oh wow! That would have been awesome to see!

Lindy said...

Oh Erin, how I love thee! So I've been on a blogging sabbatical as of late (resolving to get back into it), and lo, during these months of my absense, you've become a blogging fool! "Fool" is meant in the best of ways, of course. :) I am happy to have so much to catch up on. If only that could happen in person (sigh). If you're ever up in the Pacific Northwest, let me know, okay? I am pleased to see you seem so happy.

Karen Liu said...

Erin, I would LOVE to come see you in your play. How exciting. Please email me when you have performance info!!

Lise and Pete said...

Isn't music such a blessing!? I just wish we lived closer so I could be your personal accompanist! You are amazing! I'm so happy for you that you get to be in Savior of the World...what a cool opportunity! Way to go for sharing your talent! Your you-tube performance was un-be-lieveable! I dropped a comment on Sharon's blog. Girl, you've got some kind of soul! I LOVE it! Love Ya! :)

Nathan said...

Great and beautiful post Erin. You're words are very expressive and communicate your feelings well, I believe--but I do know what you mean about the inadequcies of words when compared to music....
You have a very amazing gift in that department...I listen to the recordings I have of your lovely and inspiring voice often AND think about it, you and your voice that is, quite regularly.
Thanks for the post!